3/11/10

December: Can you say BUSY

This was a crazy month. Holiday season is always hectic but throw into that Nathan’s first Christmas with us, his first birthday with us ( he turned two), lots of family in town for the occasion, and to top it off, I decided to accept a job and had two weeks to pack up and move to Kansas. Yes you read it write. Goodbye California hello Kansas.


As crazy and stressful as it was, December was a fun month. This was the first time we got a live Christmas tree. Yet another dream come true for me. Nathan and I would just sit on the stairs watching the lights. We even decorated the outside of the house. Do you know we never really did that in the past? But we went all out for Nathan’s first Christmas. He loved looking at the decorations. In Folsom, we are so lucky in that there is town Tree Lighting Ceremony and Santa comes by your house in his sleigh. Nathan was in awe of it all.

My parents and sister Manali came for the holidays. On Christmas Eve we drove down to the bay area for our annual Christmas Eve party at my cousin Mayank’s house. This year was even more special because my long awaited dream came true, Nathan was here. Nothing beats seeing Christmas through the eyes of a child. Nathan loved it. With so many cousins around, who wouldn’t be laughing and playing all the time. On Christmas morning, Nathan opened his first presents. He didn’t quite get the concept but as the days went on, multiple birthday celebrations, he knew what to do.

After opening a few presents in the bay area, we drove back home so Nathan could open the roomful of presents he had waiting for him. There were so many presents. My parents, sisters, cousins, friends, and Nathan’s Uncle Gary and Aunt Katherine, went above and beyond to make sure Nathan had a Christmas he wouldn’t forget.

The next day was the Nathan’s family birthday party. My cousins from the bay area drove up and my cousin from San Diego and his family showed up as well. My Aunts and Uncles from India were also present. A house full of people. Nathan loved it. We had his favorite foods and I even baked him a cake. You have to see the December pictures. Nathan grandparents in India sent him the most beautiful Indian outfit to wear at the party. Nathan looked like a prince. Absolutely gorgeous.

The next day the party continued. We had a party for Nathan and his friends at Mountain Mike’s Pizza. He wore the suit that my parents got him. He wore it for a short time, until he got an anxiety attack and had to change clothes. Read between the lines, I’m trying not to be graphic here. Nathan was starting to like Choo Choo trains and so his cake was a Thomas the Tank Engine cake.

That night we watched Polar Express on TV. Nathan never watches TV but that evening he sat on the couch with Keyoor and me, right in the middle and watched the movie. I didn’t realize the significance of this until January. Read my January blog when I write it to see how important this event was in Nathan’s life.

Almost forgot, about Mid-December we had our last post placement visit with the social worker. Now we were done with all the requirements for finalizing Nathan’s adoption. This last visit was at Camiliss’ house instead of ours. She wanted to see how Nathan would do in an unfamiliar environment. Again Nathan came through with flying colors. He may be a brat at home, but at other people’s houses, he is on his best behavior. He did not touch anything he wasn’t supposed to. I know he was dying to touch her beautiful tree with the cars and the soccer ball on it. But like the well manner boy he can be, he just stared in amazement.

We ended the month with another of my favorite holidays – New Years. A time to reflect on the past and look forward to the future. It was our first new year’s as a family. I would have allowed Nathan to stay up till midnight, but like all families with kids, we celebrated East Coast New Year’s with Nathan and then off to bed he went. My parents and hubby and I enjoyed a yummy dinner from Taandori Nights and watched an Indian movie. Wrung in the New Year with Champagne and then good night.

This was a bittersweet New Years. It was a good bye to the past. Because January 2nd I hopped on a plane to begin our new life in Kansas. More to come in my January blog on the transition to Midwest life.

Rajal

No comments:

Post a Comment